Bianca Makris contacted me a few months ago, letting me know that her eponymous collection would be ready soon. I’m glad to report that her elegant and luxurious necklaces are now available. Mixing the soft and the solid, Bianca’s collection would look just as great for an evening on the town as they would for a more casual affaire.
Let’s get to know this talented maker, based in Cyprus, with this installment of Handmade Profiles.
1. What inspired you to begin your collection?
I was pushed by a friend in London to start taking it serioulsy. I always created, but for my personal use or close friends (paint , mosaics , do jewellery) . My first collection is based on my need of big but light necklaces . I love wearing my creations. This is how it started! Crochet on chain is my signiture style.
2. Can you name a favorite source of inspiration?
You will laugh, I have dreams and ideas in most the unusual places. Life.
3. What materials do you love to use?
Cotton thread for crochet , chains , stones, crystals and grosgrain.
4. Do you have a dream collaborator?
Not yet. I’m searching for my own style for the moment.
5. When you need a musical muse, who do you turn the volume up for?
Oscar Peterson, Bebel Gilberto or David Bowie (depends on season or mood) …love music and depend on it!
6. How do you use social media/blogging to promote your work?
Facebook was my first social media and I had beautiful feedback. I was featured on 3 blogs: Un Nouveau Ideal, Lawyering Fashion and LizzyCasaLou I use Pinterest and now I have my website.
7. Where do you see your shop/project going?
I work and we’ll see where it goes, I aim big.